HomeSand DunesChristmas Valley Sand Dunes (Christmas Valley Oregon)

Christmas Valley Sand Dunes (Christmas Valley Oregon)

Overview Of Christmas Valley Sand Dunes

  • Open: Year Round
  • Latitude / Longitude:43.35641, -120.371131
  • Usage: Light
  • Managed by: BLM
  • Fee: Free
  • Camping: Yes

Location: South Central Oregon
From Christmas Valley, OR
Drive east on County Road 5-14 for 8 miles.
Turn left (north) on County Road 5-14D
Drive another 8 miles.
Turn right (east) at the “T”
Drive 3 miles on County Road 5-14E to the entrance of the Sand Dunes.
Drive another 4 miles on BLM Road 6155 to reach the Lost Forest.

Christmas Valley OHVA Oregon
BLM | Flickr

Christmas Valley Sand Dunes Camping

Free Dispersed Camping (no amenities)

  • Fee: Free
  • ADA Accessible: No
  • Facilities:
  • Camping allowed in designated areas only
  • There are 9 separate areas for camping spread around the dunes including: Pine Camp, East Camp, Juniper Camp (The Junipers)
  • No amenities available
  • No water
  • No bathrooms
  • Portable toilets are sometimes available in the camping areas during the riding season, but don’t count on it.
  • The BLM rules state that you should “pack out toilet paper and bury human waste in a four-to six-inch-deep “cat-hole” at least 200 feet away from campsite”.
  • No collecting or cutting of firewood is allowed

BLM | Flickr

Christmas Valley Sand Dunes

This dune complex is 8,900 acres open to OHV use. Approach the dunes on designated trails until you reach the bare sand dunes.

These are the largest “living” inland dunes in the Pacific Northwest. Living means that they are constantly changing and moving due to the wind and shifting sands.

At just under 4,300 feet, this entire region is considered high desert. Late May through late September are too hot for riding with temperatures in the high 90s and low 100s. October and November are pretty much perfect with long sunny days in the 60s and 70s.

They get no real snow out here, maybe just a light dusting that doesn’t stick around. It averages 58 degrees even in the coldest months of December and January, so riding is possible year round. Keep in mind that 58 is the average though, it can get a lot colder! Also, the road can be very muddy in the winter and spring, so the access roads may become impassible. Check ahead.

The main road to the staging area is “minimally” maintained, it’s a washboard, so drive cautiously. The other roads surrounding the dunes are not maintained at all, so 4×4 and high clearance are recommended.

The Sand Dunes are a Wilderness Study Area, formed some 7,000 years ago when Mt. Mazama erupted. This volcano also created Crater Lake when it erupted. The dunes are made up of ash and pumice carried by the wind.

This region also includes the Lost Forrest and Fossil Lake.

Lost Forrest is a Research Natural Area, it’s of interest because it shouldn’t exist here in this environment – too hot, too dry. But, the ponderosa pines that live here are thriving. This forest is the remnants of a larger forest that once existed when this region was a lot wetter and colder.

- Advertisement -

The sand dunes are open to all types of off roading, but the Lost Forest allows off road travel only on existing roads and trails. Fossil Lake is closed to all OHV use.

Fossil Lake Area is designated an Area of Critical Environmental Concern. No off roading is allowed at Fossil Lake to protect the fossils that are found here. You are allowed to explore the area on foot, but the gathering of fossils is strictly forbidden. This is a special area for scientific understanding.

Paleontologists have been unearthing fossils here for over 100 years. The unearthed fossils range in age from about 10,000 – 400,000 years old. Hundreds of species have been found including some extinct species such as the mammoth, Dire wolf, giant beaver, and a large species of eagle.

Off roading is the most popular activity in this region, but the area is open for other recreational activities including hiking, wildlife viewing, photography, horseback riding and camping.

Although this is a pretty remote dune away from any major population centers, services aren’t that far away. About 16 miles southwest of the dunes is the small town of Christmas Valley and some other small surrounding towns. For a thinly populated region, they pretty much have you covered – a couple motels, several restaurants, gift shops, tire repair, RV park with showers, gas and grocery stores.

BLM | Flickr

Oregon has two other dunes open to ATVing: Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area in Florence Oregon and the dunes in Sand Lake Oregon. Check out our ATV Sand Dunes page for a listing of all the dunes in the US open to off roading.

  • ATV permits are required 
  • Services are available 16 miles away in Christmas Valley
  • Oregon has strict laws applying to children and youth operators (see below)

Rules Regarding The Oregon Safety Course

  • All ATV and dirt bike riders are required to complete an ATV Safety Education Class.
  • Only one test/one card is required if you ride both ATVs and dirt bikes.
  • Dune buggy operators, sand rails, jeeps, 4×4 trucks, and sport utility vehicles (SUV) are exempt from the ATV Safety Education Class, but must possess a valid drivers license.
  • There are no age exceptions. Regardless of age, you must take this class.
  • Out of state riders can take an ATV Safety Course in their home state.
  • You must carry proof of class completion while riding on public lands. (this applies to both OR and out of state course completion).
  • Classes are free and can be taken online.
  • There is no minimum age for taking the test.
  • The class is written at an 8th grade level, so parents may need to go through the test with their children.
  • You can print out a temporary card to use while you wait for your plastic. card to arrive.
  • The test takes between 1 – 2 hours.
  • The test consist of 50 multiple choice questions.
  • You need to get at least 80% right to pass.
  • If you don’t get a passing score the first time, you can take the test again. If you fail the test the second time, you will have to go through all the training material again.
  • You can stop and start the process whenever you want. If you get timed out, you can just sign back in and continue on where you stopped.
  • You will receive yous ATV Safety card in the by within 30 days.
  • It’s $8 to get a replacement card.
  • If you rent a dirt bike or ATV in Oregon, they will give you a checklist to complete – this will serve as a temporary 30 day ATV Safety Education Class permit. After that, you will need to take the class.
  • If you buy a dirt bike or ATV in Oregon, they will give you a checklist to complete – this will serve as a temporary 30 day ATV Safety Education Class permit. After that, you will need to take the class.

BLM | Flickr

Oregon Youth ATV Operator Regulations

Rules Applying To Children and Youth Operators

  • There is no minimum age for riding a Class I ATV in Oregon.
  • The minimum age for dirt bike riders is seven years old.
  • Children must only operate appropriate “rider fit” ATVs. (No kids on adult sized machines.)
  • Must complete an ATV safety course (must carry permit card)
  • Adults supervising children must also compete an ATV safety course (must carry permit card)
  • Children under the age of 16 must also receive hand on training.
  • After passing the online ATV Safety Education Course, children receive a 6 month Certificate of Completion to practice riding, after which they are required to take a hands on training course.
  • Children between the ages of 7 and 12 must have both a state issued all-terrain vehicle operator permit and be accompanied by someone 18 or older with a valid driver’s license or state issued all-terrain vehicle operator permit.
  • Children under the age of 18 must wear a DOT approved helmet with the chin strap fastened on all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles.

Oregon State and BLM Rules Regarding OHV Use

  • Operators with a suspended or revoked drivers license may not operate any class ATV
  • Off-highway vehicles are allowed only on designated routes or areas.
  • The Bureau of Land Management follows Oregon State laws and regulations pertaining to off-highway vehicles.  The term off-highway vehicle refers to all motorized vehicles.
  • You must have a valid driver’s license, state-issued all-terrain vehicle operator permit, or be accompanied by someone 18 or older with a valid driver’s license or operator permit.
  • Flags are required on all vehicles on the dunes (9 feet tall orange or red flag).
  • A State of Oregon off-highway vehicle sticker is required to operate on all lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management in Oregon.  Stickers may be purchased at All Terrain Vehicle dealerships or by calling 1 (800) 551-6949.
  • Use headlights and taillights between dusk and dawn.
  • Mufflers must be maintained at 99 decibels.
  • Out-of-state visitors are required to have their state off-highway vehicle sticker, or must purchase a State of Oregon sticker to ride here.
  • Operate your off-highway vehicle sober, not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  No open liquor containers are allowed. 
  • Stay on designated travel routes between camping and day-use parking areas and the open dunes.
  • Respect the rights of other visitors as you enjoy your visit.
  • Oregon Out of State ATV Permit Laws
  • To operate on public land, all ATVs / OHVs are required to have an operating permit from either Oregon or one of the accepted reciprocity states listed below.
  • Residents of other states can register their OHVs in Oregon.
  • Oregon has an ATV permit reciprocity system.
  • If your home state accepts Oregon ATV permits then Oregon will also accept your state ATV permit.

Oregon Currently Accepts Out Of State Permits From These States:

  • Arizona         
  • California   
  • Idaho  
  • Indiana
  • Missouri
  • Nevada
  • Pennsylvania 
  • South Carolina
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington

Feature Image by BLM | Flickr

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read Next