Turkey Bay OVHA – Hopkinsville Kentucky
- Length: 100 trail miles
- Trail Rating: Varied
- 1 – 3 Consecutive Days Permit: $20
- Annual: $100
- Usage: Heavy
- Open: Year Round (weather permitting)
- Camping: Yes
- Primitive: $12
- Registration Required: Yes
- Street Legal Required: No
- Vehicles Allowed: Dirt Bikes, ATVs, SxS, Full Size
Turkey Bay OHV Area is part of the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area sandwiched between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake.
Managed by the US Forest Service, this 2,500 acre off-road park is open year round, but subject to weather related closures. During periods of heavy rain, the park may close temporarily to limit trail damage.
Call Before You Haul!
There’s a manned gatehouse onsite, open Thursday-Sunday 8:30 am-5 pm. When gatehouse is closed, riding permits can be purchased at the Golden Pond Visitor Center 7 days a week.
ALL OHVS MUST BE REGISTERED WITH LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES
Endless Miles Of Adventurous Forest Riding
With 100 miles of trails, you won’t soon run out of riding options. There’s a good mix of easy, moderate and difficult trails as well as a child only riding area called Turkey Trot.
You can even ride right up to the shore Kentucky Lake and enjoy some fun, lovely waterfront trail riding. Some of the spur trails that take you to the lake’s edge are on the difficult side, but, no worries, there are some easy access points as well.
Plus, there are many acres of ‘Challenge’ riding areas featuring washed out hill climbs for riders looking for additional thrills. If you really want to test your skills, a boulder strewn ‘Rock Garden’ is located in the very northeast of the riding area.
All trails are open to two way traffic. (except Turkey Trot kid’s area)
Primary Trails | Yellow Blaze
- Easy trails for novice riders featuring pleasant, less-challenging riding.
Secondary Trails | Orange Blaze
- Moderate trails that are narrow and more challenging. Serve as connectors between primary trails.
Tertiary Trails | Blue Blaze
- Difficult trails that are the narrowest and most challenging. Serve as connectors between both primary and secondary trails.
Turkey Trot Youth Riding Area
Turkey Trot riding area is the perfect place for young riders to gain confidence and improve their riding skills. Features include small rocks and logs, sharp turns, whoops and a variety of hill challenges that will delight young riders.
This 1/2 mile beginners trail is located in the southern portion of the park within the camping area. It’s fenced off to provide a safe riding environment.
Turkey Trot Rules & Regulations
- Riders must be 16 years or under
- Helmets must be worn at all times. Additional protective gear is recommended including: gloves, boots, eye protection, and body armor.
- Direct supervision is required at all times.
- Parents or legal guardians are encouraged to walk the trail with young riders.
- Only ATVs and dirt bikes 90cc or less are allowed on the trail.
- Go-carts are not allowed.
- A Turkey Bay riding permit is required for all vehicles.
- 10 mph speed limit. This trail is not a race track
- Trail traffic is ONE WAY. Stay on the marked trail and follow the arrows.
- No camping in Turkey Trot riding area
Camping Within Turkey Bay OHV Area
$12 a night (for 2 tents or 1 camper)
Camping registration is done by the front gate at a self serve kiosk.
There are several large dispersed camping areas at the southern end of the riding area. This is primitive camping with no hookups but chemical toilets and drinking water are available onsite.
For people looking to use a generator, there are two – 24 hour generator areas.
Dispersed camping outside the designated camping areas is not allowed.
STAY ON DESIGNATED TRAILS. IF A TRAIL IS NOT SIGNED, IT IS NOT A LEGAL TRAIL.
Rules & Regulations
- All riders must sign a liability waiver.
- All OHVs must be registered with Land Between the Lakes before being used in Turkey Bay.
- Must obey all rules and regulations
- Permit holder is responsible for making sure that vehicle is operated in a safe manner at all times.
- Causing environmental damage is forbidden – no off trail riding or mud bogging.
- Passengers are not allowed on ATVs except on manufacturer designated 2 ups ATVs
- Passengers are only allowed in vehicles intended by the manufacturer to carry passengers.
- Golf carts are not permitted at Turkey Bay OHV Area.
- DOT helmets are required for ALL riders except in vehicles with fully enclosed metal cabs and/or roll bar protection and seatbelts.
- Riding hours are from dawn to dusk.
- Users must stay within the boundaries of Turkey Bay OHV Area
- Operators/passengers of motorized vehicles, except motorcycles, ATVs, and six wheelers, must use a fastened seatbelt while the vehicle is in use.
- 15 mph speed limit is enforced on the entrance road. Camping and unloading areas are 10 mph.
- No exhibition riding
- All vehicles and operators must be in compliance with all state and federal laws.
- Spark arresters and mufflers are required.
- Land Between the Lakes is not liable or responsible for damage, loss, or theft of personal property or for injuries to visitors.
- Litter laws are strictly enforced.
- All users must enter and exit Turkey Bay OHV Area by way of Road 167 off Woodlands Trace National Scenic Byway.
- Public consumption of alcohol is forbidden
- All users must use existing trails appropriate for the size of their vehicle.
Youth Operator/Passenger Rules
- Anyone under 18 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian’s signature to ride.
- No person under 16 years old may operate an ATV with an engine size exceeding 90cc displacement. No person under 12 years old may operate an ATV with an engine size exceeding 70cc displacement.
- Direct parental or adult supervision is required for all OHV riders under the age of 16 years old